Saturday, May 8, 2010

New Banner

I just realized the other day that I started this blog over a year ago.  Though there were some very long gaps in between posts in the beginning, I am now posting regularly, and I can actually say that I am proud of the work that I have done here.

These days, it seems everyone has an opinion on food blogs and their bloggers.  A couple of weeks ago, my boss, knowing full well that I have a blog of my own, went off on a rant about how all these silly bloggers are writing about the tacos in Red Hook; meanwhile, she had been going to Red Hook for years for the tacos.  Now, she claims, she has to wait forever for tacos, and they aren't even that good anymore.  Of course, she wasn't attacking me specifically.  But her rant did have an all-too-familiar ring to it.

Nowadays, being a "foodie" is nothing special.  I myself am generally more shocked to encounter someone who isn't at all into food.  That said, as a relative newcomer to the food blogging world, I am constantly amazed by the number of food blogs out there.  And that number is still growing.  The other day, the New York Times came out with an article describing this very phenomenon.  I have to admit, I am one of those people that likes to take pictures of the food I'm eating - at restaurants or at home.  So, Why do I do it?

Well, first of all, any food that I take a picture of is probably going to end up here, on my blog.  So that's the main purpose.  But I also want to share my experiences and recipes with my readers, mainly my family and friends.  If I come up with something delicious that I know my cousin will love, I want her to see it, and I want her to be able to make it, or I want to make it for her.  I also share my recipes because I believe they cater to a wide variety of eaters, and I know that vegans and carnivores and locavores alike can all enjoy the food.  (And if I go to Baconfest, I want to brag about it.  What can I say?)  At this point in my life, my blog is my culinary creative outlet.  With a full time job and, well, just living life in general, I don't necessarily have room to pursue my culinary career in the way that I want to.  So I blog.

Now I know that my blog is young and I have quite a way to go before I reach, say, Smitten Kitchen status.  But for me, blogging is fun, and messing around in the kitchen is even more fun.  So, to take things to the next level and "get real," as the roommate would say, I've created a new banner for my blog (with the roommate's help, of course -- well, actually, she did most of the work and I just pointed and nodded).  Like it?

Anyhow.  Thanks again for reading!  And please keep commenting so I know that you guys are actually out there (she said with a hint of desperation in her voice)!

3 comments: