Monday, August 2, 2010

Tips For Staying Cool

This summer, I've been doing a lot of non-cooking.  It involves lots of throwing things into a big bowl, and not a lot of heat.  It's hot enough as it is, and lately I've been craving things that will cool me down, things that won't have me breaking a sweat in our tiny kitchen.  Oven roasting and slow cooking and braising have their time and place; this summer's just not it.  So, without further ado, how to not-cook this summer, or, my Tips For Staying Cool:

1. Have an indoor picnic: Get a baguette, throw together a caprese salad, and add some prosciutto for good measure.  Eat with your hands, sitting on the living room floor with the A/C blasting.  Make sure there's a bucket of ice and some chilled white wine within reach.



2. If you're having guests over, don't cook: Make some no-cook kebabs!  We all know there's nothing like food on a stick.  Who says you have to cook it?  Skewer some bocconcini, tomatoes, peppadew peppers, and olives and drizzle with homemade pesto.  These babies make for an impressive display, and super easy clean-up to boot.  The wonderful ladies in my book club devoured every last one of these!



3. If you must turn on the stove, make it quick: Scramble up some eggs and throw in a handful of chopped garlic scapes, all fresh from the farmers market, of course.  Or quickly saute some zucchini and corn and top with freshly sliced heirloom tomatoes.  These dishes make for a light and easy dinner, or tasty summer sides.





4. Cook without cooking: The best trick of all?  Make some ceviche and let the limes do the cooking.  Chop up some scallops, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes, throw it in a bowl or jar, cover with lime juice, and... walk away.  Take a cold shower, lay out in the sun for a bit, or call mom.  When you come back, dinner's ready!



5. Try something new: When all else fails and you just don't have the energy to even step into the kitchen, go to a new restaurant, preferably air conditioned, or get take-out.  Try something spicy - it may seem counterintuitive, but it's actually supposed to help cool you down!  I opted to try the new Xian's Famous Food that just opened on St. Mark's.  You just can't beat those spicy liang pi noodles on a hot summer night!


Happy non-cooking!

2 comments:

  1. i love this post! summer is definitely the season for non-cookers like myself. that being said, the selfish side of me can't WAIT for your fall dishes to return!! much to look forward to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never eat better than when I'm with Kat! I loved our foodie adventures and I can't wait to return for more! Or... you could come see what the gastronomic world of Texas has to offer. BBQ blogging in your future? I think so!

    ReplyDelete