Sunday, November 7, 2010

Lunch Food Co-op, Round Three

First, I made a kale and brown rice salad.  Then, I made a pork loin roast with orzo. For the latest round of my office lunch food co-op, I made roasted chicken and butternut squash with couscous, and brussels sprouts with bacon.


I think this dish was my favorite thing that I made for the lunch food co-op.


As much as I enjoy cooking for my coworkers, and as much as I love the food that each person brings for lunch each week, the co-op is about more than just the food.

Though it's rare that all of my coworkers and I can all sit down together to eat at the same time, we still get to share lunch once a week.  We talk about what the lunch of the week is, we chat about our weekends, and we share cooking tips.

I honestly don't think this lunch co-op would have been such a success if I didn't love the people that I work with.  As it is, though, I actually consider my coworkers friends, and I couldn't imagine doing the work that I do without them.  They are a very supportive bunch, and we even have fun together outside of work.  I know that these lunches are something we all look forward to each week.

I feel very fortunate to work with people that I actually care about and look up to. And when I make these lunches, I feel as though I am thanking my coworkers for guiding me, for listening, and for being there for me, especially when I need a margarita after work!


Roasted Chicken with Butternut Squash

1 butternut squash, trimmed, peeled, and seeded, then cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs and legs
olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss cut butternut squash and onions with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place in an oven proof baking dish.  Clean and dry chicken pieces.  Season with salt and pepper.  Arrange on top of butternut squash in dish.  Bake for about 45 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

1 pound brussels sprouts, cleaned, trimmed, and halved
1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
salt and pepper

Heat a skillet over medium high heat.  When hot, add bacon and cook until almost crisp.  Add brussels sprouts and brown, tossing frequently.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cover for 3-5 minutes, until sprouts are tender.  Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, you didn't say how/when to add the couscous. Let me know cause I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, sorry! Just cook the couscous according to the instructions on package, or by boiling with an equal amount of water (1:1). You can serve the couscous on the side or mix it in with the butternut squash and yummy chicken juices. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete