Saturday, January 8, 2011

Radicchio and Broccoli Rice

The first week of the year and I'm back in New York, back to work, back to my routine.  Sigh.  I'm experiencing some serious post-holiday blues.  Plus, the aforementioned gluttony in my last blog post hasn't done one thing for my figure. Not one thing.

So, for a conscience clearing, blues averting meal: Radicchio and Broccoli Rice.

It's vegan!

And it's quite refreshing, actually.  I know we're still in the very depths of winter, so I'm not masquerading this dish as a summer salad or anything.  The vegetables are actually oven roasted with lots of garlic, so it still provides a toasty warm feeling for your belly.  But it won't sit in there heavily like anything creamy or meaty or extremely decadent that you've probably been indulging in for the last month.  Or maybe that was just me.

Anyhow, add a nice big hit of lemon juice along with some fresh basil, and you've got a light and uplifting meal, perfect for a winter weeknight dinner.



PS. I'm still trying to figure out how to make optimal use of my new camera.  So, if any of you out there have experience shooting with a Nikon D3000 and feel like sharing some tips, send me an email!

Radicchio and Broccoli Rice

2 stalks broccoli
1 small head of radicchio
2 cups cooked rice, slightly cooled
juice of 1 lemon
4 cloves garlic, minced
a handful of basil, cut into a chiffonade
olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare the broccoli by cutting off the tops and separating those into bite sized florets.  Rinse florets and place in a large mixing bowl.  Trim the ends of the stalks and, using a vegetable peeler, take off the tough outer skins.  Slice into chunks and put those in the bowl.  Trim the radicchio and cut into quarters, and trim out the core.  Slice thinly, rinse, drain, and mix in with the broccoli.  Toss vegetables with a generous glug of olive oil, salt, pepper, and minced garlic.  Place in a large baking dish or on a sheet pan.  Cook until broccoli is tender but still crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes.

When the veggies are done, throw them back in the mixing bowl, along with the cooked rice.  Add the lemon juice, some more olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil.

2 comments:

  1. i spy with my little eye... a fordham cafeteria cup! the food was delicious, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for dinner last night and it was so quick easy and delicious! I think it would be interesting with broccoli raab and red peppercorns as well? Maybe...

    Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete