Thursday, February 24, 2011

Creamed Kale

As kale's season comes to a close, I thought I'd pay tribute to one of my all time favorite crucifers. I've discussed the seemingly ubiquitous (at least in my kitchen) leafy green with many a friend and food lover. Some absolutely adore it, others could live without it. A coworker couldn't figure out what to do with it, and after some trial and error, acquired a taste for it. As for me, whether it be kale chips, kale soup, or simply sauteed kale with garlic, I've had it all, and I love it all.

And I have to say, I can't believe it never occurred to me before to make creamed kale! If you like creamed spinach, you'll like creamed kale. Even if you don't like creamed spinach, give creamed kale a chance - it might do wonders for your taste buds. Kale, the sturdy green that it is, holds up beautifully to the rich and salty cream. The kale maintains its crunch, and runs a very low risk of turning mushy or stringy like creamed spinach might.


I chose to forgo the use of any cheese, simply because I like the taste of unadulterated and unadorned kale so much, but, as is almost always the case, a sprinkle of parmesan couldn't hurt.


Creamed Kale
I could eat heaps of this stuff, and when I do, I don't necessarily feel so bad because, after all, it's kale. (Did someone say Fat Kid?) But it might be better to share the dish with some friends and loved ones, so you can have someone to witness how tasty and amazing creamed kale is. So hurry up and make some, before the season's over!

one small bunch kale
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated on a microplane
salt and pepper
olive oil

Heat a turn of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add garlic and cook for about a minute, until fragrant. Add kale and saute until just starting to wilt, about 3-5 minutes. Add cream and bring to a bubble, then simmer until cream is reduced by half, or more. Add salt and pepper to taste. Devour.

1 comment: