Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Butternut Squash Risotto with Roasted Asparagus



Winter to me means root vegetables, winter greens, and squash.  Lots and lots of squash.  Squash is what I look forward to most when summer ends and fall is just around the corner.  Sadly, squash season is leaving us... but not to worry, we have many spring vegetables to look forward to!

So, dear squash, I bid you farewell with this meal.  To me, the warmth of the dish, the addition of the squash, the golden yellow color, and the crisp asparagus fit just perfectly between winter and summer.

Welcome, Spring!*

Butternut Squash Risotto

1 cup arborio rice
1 quart vegetable stock
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups butternut squash puree (mine came from my CSA; make your own by roasting butternut squash, then throwing it in a food processor)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a small pot, heat the stock over medium heat and keep at a simmer.  Keep a ladle nearby.  Meanwhile, heat a bit of oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.  Add onions and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add a bit of salt to taste.  Add dry rice to the pan, sauteing until rice is translucent, just a couple minutes.  Add white wine and stir.  Add some salt for good measure.

When liquid has been absorbed, ladle about 3/4 cup of stock into the pan.  Stir until absorbed, and continue to add liquid in this manner.  When stock is almost gone and the rice is almost cooked through, add the butternut squash puree.  Stir well to combine.  Now would be a good time to add the parmesan cheese.  Check to make sure the risotto is properly seasoned; add some salt if you so desire.  Once all the good stuff has been added, continue to add the stock, still just a ladle-full at a time, until all of it has been absorbed.  If the stock is gone and the rice is not cooked through, well, just add some water until it is.


Roasted Asparagus

1 bunch asparagus, washed and trimmed
olive oil
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss asparagus with olive oil, salt, and pepper to coat.  Place on a baking sheet and roast for about 10-15 minutes (it really depends on the thickness of your asparagus) until tender and lightly browned.


*Ok, I know I'm a bit late in welcoming spring.  It's just that I didn't want to get my hopes up just to have this crazy east coast weather of ours disappoint me.  With the 70 degree weather in New York this week, well, I think I can officially say now that spring has indeed arrived!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kat - Tasty looking recipe. Strangely enough this is one time in our grocery store where we have asparagus right next to squash. I am a little suspicious of the squash though - are they just trying to get rid of the last bits lying about? I agree with you that squash is a consolation for winter weather, but yahoo Spring! Thanks for the flavor inspiration. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim! I don't think you need to be suspicious of the squash just yet... I recently (last week) received an acorn squash from our CSA and it was perfect! Though I would be wary in a couple of weeks, so get the squash while you can! Thanks for stopping by to read. I just checked out your blog - I will definitely be trying out some of your recipes soon!

    ReplyDelete