Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Flavor Profile: Chimichurri


My cousin John makes the best chimichurri.  When my family and I were in Hawaii, we all begged him to make it for us on steak night.  As usual, it was delicious -- we couldn't get enough of it, and we put it on everything we ate until it was gone.  It took an awful lot of willpower not to eat it by the spoonful.  After observing John carefully while he was making his chimichurri, I decided to try it out myself at home.  With the memory of the sauce still lingering in my mind (and invading my dreams), I gathered the ingredients.


Chimichurri is made up of four main components: parsley, garlic, oil, and vinegar.  While other ingredients are often added to create different variations of the sauce, these four components are almost always present in chimichurri.  Used as a marinade, a spread, or a topping, chimichurri is at once tangy, salty, and herby, with a kick delivered by the raw garlic.  Not quite as creamy or thick as pesto, but definitely more substantial than a vinaigrette or dressing, it is extremely versatile and imparts a fresh and bright flavor to whatever it's paired with.  I used a balsamic vinegar because, well, that's what John used in Hawaii.  But the balsamic actually added a subtle sweetness to my chimichurri that I found quite pleasant.  I think the recipe below will work just as well with a red wine vinegar, if you prefer.



Chimichurri

1 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed and stems removed
4 cloves garlic
2/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 a small onion
salt, to taste

Finely chop parsley, mince garlic, and finely dice onion.  Combine with oregano and vinegar.  Add olive oil and mix well.  Alternatively, combine ingredients in a small food processor and blend until everything is just minced (don't overdo it!).  Salt to taste, and serve with grilled meat or fish, or roasted veggies, or whatever your little heart desires.  I served mine with some oven roasted potatoes, red snapper, baked tofu, and roasted zucchini, with the bowl of chimichurri right in the middle of the table.

Some possible fun additions would be: finely diced bell pepper, cilantro, dried thyme, finely diced red onions, red pepper flakes... The possibilities are endless -- get creative!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make this in my very own kitchen for Sunday Dinner perhaps? I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok! I made the Chimichuri and it was delicious. I have enough to feed an army for weeks but tonight me and Audrey enjoyed it with some Tilapia and rosemary roasted blue fingerling potatoes. I paired it with a Spanish Sauvignon Blanc and it was delicious. I will be tasting garlic for the next week which really dashes my hopes of finding my vampire prince charming...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad it turned out so well for you, Al Pal! Sorry for killing your vampire fantasy :(

    ReplyDelete