Sunday, March 21, 2010

Back to Reality

Hi friends!  Sorry I haven't posted in so long!  I was away on vacation in paradise...


Now, it's back to reality.  But first, some highlights from Hawaii...  My cousins and I stayed in a place with our own kitchen, and we cooked almost all of our own meals.  Like me, my cousins are all foodies, so we had some fun in the kitchen together and made some amazing feasts.  For example, on steak night, my cousin Ted wanted to marinate the tri-tip in beer, claiming that it would tenderize the beef.  So he marinated half of the steak in beer, and my other cousin Nick used a salt rub on the other half of the steak.  The verdict?  Well, we were a bit too eager for tri-tip, and so lost track of which steak was which, but most of us could not tell which steaks had been marinated and which had not.  Bottom line?  Tri-tip is good.  Real good.

Tri-tip, marinating in beer.

Salt rubbed tri-tip.

Other good eats included:

Brussels sprouts, seasoned and wrapped in foil, then thrown on the grill.  They turned out lovely, sweet and meltingly tender.

My cousin Karen's mushroom rice, which we served with barbecued chicken.

Salt and pepper fish plate, at a local food shack - one of our few meals out.

Shaved ice, from the same food shack.

That's all from my vacation... Stay tuned for pork chops, and my experience at the Brooklyn Beefsteak!

1 comment: