Monday, March 22, 2010

Breaded Pork Chops with Butternut Squash and Broccolini


A couple of weeks ago, I found these amazing pork chops at my local greenmarket.  And some fresh eggs. Which I actually ended up dropping on the kitchen floor, creating just a teensy little mess.  But my roommate got me some more.  Then I found some freshly made breadcrumbs at my local Italian deli.  And so I made these yummy breaded pork chops, along with butternut squash, which I also found at the greenmarket.  The broccolini came from my local natural foods market.  All in all, it was a pretty local meal.  Which brings me to...

...My Two Cents On Eating Local Food: I know locavorism is all the rage right now, and I'm definitely not the first one to jump on the bandwagon.  Being a locavore is the trendiest kind of eater you can be these days.  But seriously, how can you argue against knowing exactly where your food comes from, buying it directly from the person that grows it, and reducing the distance from creation to digestion? This, to me, is locavorism.  And just as "vegan" and "vegetarian" can mean vastly different things to different people, so can locavorism.

And now, on to the food (which is, after all, what it's really all about)!


Broccolini with Red Pepper Flakes

2 bunches broccolini
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
olive oil
salt

Heat a bit of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add red pepper flakes and heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add broccolini and toss gently to coat.  Cook until broccolini is tender and bright green, covering the pan to steam it a bit, if necessary.  Turn off heat, season with salt, and finish with lemon juice.

Roasted Butternut Squash

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Season squash with salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.  Place on a baking sheet and cook in oven until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.

Breaded Pork Chops

1 large egg
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
2 thin pork chops (about 7 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick)
olive oil
salt and pepper

Start by setting up your breading assembly line with three shallow bowls.  Lightly beat the egg in the first bowl, spread the flour in the second, and the breadcrumbs in the third.  Coat a skillet with oil and heat over medium-high heat.  While the oil heats up, season the pork chops with salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour.  Dip the pork chops in the egg, and finish by pressing them into the breadcrumbs.  Fry on one side until crispy and golden brown, then flip to the other side and fry until cooked through, flipping again if necessary.  Serve with butternut squash and broccolini.


But wait!  There's more!  Got leftovers?  I did!  So for lunch the next day, I made this glorious sandwich,


by spreading some good mustard on a slice of bread, piling on a pork chop, followed by some broccolini, and topped by another slice of bread.  Mmmmm nom nom nommy noms!

2 comments:

  1. However, since there was an expectation for my response, I'll write something a little more enlightened than "nummy num nums" via google buzz.
    I believe buzz is a more effective way of responding (even though I hate it) because it gives notoriety to the chef! Via buzz, my reaction to Miss Chang's colorful cooking with cultural flare and explosive flavor will invade the inboxes of all - leading them to see what the "buzz" is about and therefore visit this very blog and salivate or perhaps even try their hand at such a culinary masterpiece.

    Miss Chang's ability to whisk, chop, fry, sear and serve up satiating culinary masterpieces with a twist like this neighborhood inspired breaded pork chop served along side broccolini with a zing and a kick, complimented by the creamy sweet notes of butternut squash is a surefire way to satisfy even the most discerning appetites.

    Cheers to the chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Al Pal!! I appreciate your comment :)

    ReplyDelete