Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Food for Thought

A few things I've been thinking about this week:

1. Poached/Fried Eggs: Whenever I make instant ramen at home, I always add an egg to poach in the soup.  It's a wonderful addition to the ramen, and I like to think it adds just a bit of nutrition to the meal.  Lately, I've been kind of obsessed with adding poached or fried eggs to other meals as well.  Last night's dinner leftovers are easily transformed into today's breakfast (or lunch, even) with the addition of an egg on top.  I've had this conversation several times with various people, and most would agree that a fried egg is a miraculous thing.  It goes with just about anything, it's vegetarian friendly, and you can be creative with it.  Just try this recipe from Smitten Kitchen and add a poached egg to leftovers, as Deb suggests, or try this one from Serious Eats for dinner sometime this week.  Yum!

2. The Ducasse Cookpot: Read about it here.  I can't wait to experiment and come up with my own version.  I absolutely love such simple, flavorful, fuss-less cooking methods as these.

3. Composting: I've been toying with the idea for a while now, but can't seem to find a plan to make it work in my tiny urban apartment.  I can't even find a place that will take my compost, if I had any.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.  If you're looking for more information, here are a few articles from goodeater on the subject.

4. This heat: Yup, it's still scorching in NYC.  Here are the results from the egg experiment two weeks ago -



The egg didn't exactly fry.  It just kind of... oozed.  Melted a little.  Maybe we should have tried it on asphalt instead of the sidewalk.  I came back about 2 hours later and it had gotten smeared, but it didn't look like it had cooked any more.  Oh, well.  You'll just have to take my word for it - it's HOT!  Stay tuned for a few heat-minimizing recipes...

Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

  1. isn't 6th street community center going to start composting on tuesdays during the food share pick up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kat,

    I just keep mine in my freezer (or fridge if I run out of room) and drop it off at union square whenever I have a biobag full. Here is some info on the drop-off sites.

    http://www.lesecologycenter.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=36

    Hope this helps!

    -Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brianna and Margaret! I will definitely look into this more and let you know what I find.

    ReplyDelete