Monday, July 5, 2010

Squash Ribbons with Tomatoes

Summer is in full swing here in New York City, and it is H-O-T.  With all of the great free events and goings-on in the city, I have found myself with little time to cook.  Weeknights have been filled with happy hours, concerts, and naps in the park.  I am even less inclined to cook on the weekends, especially in this heat.  I find myself seeking solace in the luxurious air conditioning of neighborhood restaurants and cafes, and since I'm there, well, I might as well eat something.  Hence the lack of cooking in our tiny kitchen.

One thing I have made this summer, though, is the dish that brings you this post.  When I first came across a recipe for squash ribbons, I just knew they would become part of my kitchen repertoire.  In the summer, zucchini and summer squash abound, and one can only eat so much grilled squash.  Enter squash ribbons, delicate strips of juicy squash, thin enough to substitute for pasta for a light summer meal.


Some recipes suggest that you serve squash ribbons raw, but I prefer them cooked, even if only just a bit.  I also like to sauce them with a can of chopped tomatoes, but fresh tomatoes would probably be even better.  The following recipe (if you can even call it that) is just something to get you started.  I encourage you to be creative, dear readers, as the possibilities with squash ribbons are nearly endless.


Squash Ribbons with Tomatoes

1 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes, with their juice
4 squash (I used two zucchini and two summer squash)
olive oil
salt and pepper

Clean and trim the squash.  Using a vegetable peeler, peel off the skin of each squash.  Continue to "peel" away the squash, moving in a circular direction, forming ribbons.  When you reach the center of the squash, stop peeling and discard the seeds.  Heat a skillet over medium heat.  When just hot, add olive oil.  Add squash and cook until just softened, about 2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.  Remove squash from pan.  Heat the tomatoes with their juice in the same pan until just warmed through.  Top squash ribbons with the tomatoes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment