Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Food for Thought

As you all know, dear readers, my roommate Brianna and I are part of a CSA.  Well, this week, on Food for Thought Wednesday, I would like to introduce a new type of food co-op into my life (and my blog): a work lunch co-op.

It all started with this little article in the New York Times.  I'm sure most of you have seen it already.  At first, I was skeptical.  While the cooking co-op sounded like a good idea in theory, I wondered about the logistics.  Say I joined a cooking co-op.  What if my co-op buddies didn't like my food?  What if I didn't like their food?  What if, like Andy Remeis, I got stuck with (heaven forbid) Hamburger Helper meals?  Most importantly, where would I even find such a "trusted community of friends and neighbors," as Laurie Woolever so fondly describes, with whom to share weekly meals?

Just as I was about to give up on ever starting, finding, or joining a cooking co-op, my coworker came to the rescue.  Yesterday, as we were on our way to happy hour after work, he casually mentioned the New York Times article.

"I think we should start a lunch co-op at work," he said.

I stopped, turned around, and beamed at him.

And the rest is history.

Well, not really.  We still have lots of details to work out, like who wants to participate, food allergies, general guidelines, etc.

But, as you can imagine, I am so excited.  I've already been lucky enough to experience the pleasure of some of my coworkers' cooking skills, and, if they're any indication of what's to come, these co-op lunches are sure to be a success.

So stay tuned for the first co-op post, and other goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment